Now the European and British Games are finished, we can turn our thoughts to the World Games in Malaga next year. The management team (Lynne and Barrie) have, as in previous years, asked us to put together a recommendation for selection for the cycling team. The criteria for broader GB team selection are attached. For the cycling team, ‘training regularly’ means a structured programme of bike based training over the winter period followed by regular competition (time trials, track, circuit racing etc) leading up to the games.
Details are yet to be confirmed but we understand the road race will be extended to 30km and a team time trial is being introduced along with the standard 5k individual time trial.
As cyclists, we get dispensation from attending the Warwick sessions as we are better served by getting together at Stourport where there are appropriate facilities for us to coach and train. We have 3 coaching sessions booked at Stourport and the sessions have been designed with the demands of a world games specifically in mind. The attached document details the dates and the content of these sessions. The sessions are open to all recipients of this email, not just those selected for the world games team. The coaching will benefit all transplant cyclists and will help with your British games performance. The expectation is that those selected for the world games will attend at least 2 of these sessions. However, if you are a multi-sport athlete, either a triathlete or another combining cycling with any other sport, you will need to also attend at least two of the three sessions planned at Warwick.
To help us make a recommendation for the cycling team, please let John know.
1. Is it your intention to make yourself available for selection to compete in all 3 cycling events and if not, which events?
2. If you are a multisport athlete, what other sports are you intending to do.
3. Do you intend to compete in the virtual triathlon?
4. Age category at time of world games.
5. Date of Birth
6. Will you be attending the first cycling coaching session at Stourport on Sunday 25 September. (Note - this is unavoidably the same date as the first broader GB team session at Warwick)
John, Ottilie and Rich